Royal Exhibition Building Panorama, Australia

The Royal Exhibition Building is a World Heritage Site-listed building in Melbourne, Australia, completed on October 1, 1880, in just 18 months, during the time of the international exhibition movement which presented over 50 exhibitions between 1851 and 1915 in various different places. The building sits on 64 acres, is 150 meters long and is surrounded by four city streets. . It is located at 9 Nicholson Street in the Carlton Gardens, flanked by Victoria, Carlton and Rathdowne Streets, at the north-eastern edge of the central business district. It was built to host the Melbourne International Exhibition in 1880–81 and later hosted (in the Western annex) the opening of the first Parliament of Australia in 1901. The building is representative of the money and pride Victoria had in the 1870's. Throughout the 20th century smaller sections and wings of the building were subject to demolition and fire; however, the main building, known as the Great Hall, survived.


It received restoration throughout the 1990s and in 2004 became the first building in Australia to be awarded UNESCO World Heritage status, being one of the last remaining major 19th-century exhibition buildings in the world. It is the world's most complete surviving site from the International Exhibition movement 1851–1914. It sits adjacent to the Melbourne Museum and is the largest item in Museum Victoria's collection. Today, the building hosts various exhibitions and other events and is closely tied with events at the Melbourne Museum.

 Read more...

Panoramas of the 200 most prominent Australia Points of Interest