Dung Gate Panorama, Israel

The Dung Gate (Hebrew: שער האשפות‎ Sha'ar Ha'ashpot), known in Arabic historically as the Moroccan or Mughrabi Gate (Arabic: باب المغاربة‎) and since medieval times also known as Silwan Gate, is one of the gates in the walls of the Old City of Jerusalem. It was built in the 16th century.

The gate is situated near the southeast corner of the Old City, southwest of the Temple Mount.

Directly behind the gate lies the entrance to the Western Wall Plaza. Dung Gate is a main passage for vehicles coming out of the Old City and for buses headed to the Western Wall.

The 16th-century gate was much smaller, but was enlarged in 1952, after the Old City came under Jordanian control in 1948. After its capture by Israel in 1967, architect Shlomo Aronson was commissioned to renovate it.

 Read more...

Panoramas of the 200 most prominent Israel Points of Interest