Spišská Kapitula and St. Martin's Cathedral Panorama, Slovakia

Spišská Kapitula (Hungarian: Szepeshely or Szepesi Káptalan) (both meaning the "Spiš Chapter house") is an exceptionally well-preserved ecclesiastical town on the outskirts of Spišské Podhradie, Slovakia, and overlooking Spiš Castle. It is part of the UNESCO World Heritage site "Levoča, Spiš Castle and the associated cultural monuments".

The town consists of St. Martin's Cathedral (dedicated to St. Martin of Tours), a former monastery, and a single street, all of mediaeval construction and enclosed by a wall. The lower gate gives an extensive view of Spiš Castle, located on an opposite hill. Spišská Kapitula became the main seat of the church administration in the region in the 12th century. In 1776 it became the seat of the Diocese of Spiš (Szepes). The present bishop, the 14th, is Mgr. Štefan Sečka.

 Read more...

Panoramas of the 200 most prominent Slovakia Points of Interest